There's something to be said for feeling the flow when you're just feeling your way down an unknown or unfamiliar trail. If you can just let it go that first time, it says, "I have supremely large kahones". Sure, relax and let it flow on the familiar trails. You know where the brake points are and when and where to put your weight. But ya better button it up on those new trails, you could get hurt. So what does it say to let it all out the first time you meet new singletrack and have it feel perfect? Soul mates or just feeling good that day? It sure makes you want to go back for more.
I've been out on trails for the first time and felt nervous and skiddish. National is a good example. The first time was many years ago, and it was more an exercise in hiking that riding. Over the years I'd revisit and just think, this will never be rideable for me. Every few years, as my passion with fat tires would wax and wane, she would still be there. I would go see her, but we weren't ready for each other. She would ebb and flow, sometimes for the better, sometimes because some stupid trail user decided "their way" was the "right way". Always so beautiful on so many levels, so much to give to so many, but never happy.
So what is it that makes you work through that initial fear and trepidation and get to the point where that once intimidating vixen becomes your lover, or at least, your best friend? The right bike? More fitness? Better technical skills? All helpful maybe. But ultimately you take her on, piece by piece, until the safe lines become ingrained and mundane but her other lines are what you just know will keep you coming back until the end of time.
And then, there's 24th street. So much more complicated than National, beautiful in her own way, but supremely unrideable. Not even in the realm of possibility for most people, myself included, if I hadn't taken the time to get to know National. Yet there I was, first time, dancing with her insane, beautiful lines and making it down with nary a dab. No flow yet, but I'll get there after a few more rides. My tastes are refined, I need more! Or.....do I?
So what of that new trail, the one you felt the flow on almost immediately? In reality, and as "cosmic" as it may seem, she will likely bore you after awhile. There will be many trails like this.
And what of 24th street? New found love? Nah, she's fun, a good ride from time to time, but harsh and unforgiving. No time to breathe. No time to let down your guard. A-game only please, or you can get off at the next drop.
Not like National. National has it all. Adrenaline tempered with time to breathe. A-game intensity mixed with lazy days on the couch. Endless variety. And guaranteed safe lines, for those days you're just not feelin the flow. Yeah, I found my home.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment