Sunday, March 22, 2009

Companion version 2.0 - Journeymate

In no particular order, I thought I'd jot down the list of "requirements" that I'm looking for in a journeymate. I recognize these likely can not be fulfilled by only one person, but most of these in one would be nice. The first requirement is that you clearly understand what "journeymate" means. If you don't, best to stop reading now. Here's the rest:

-You must be spiritual. I mostly don't care how it manifests itself, but you must be aware enough to be able to feel what the universe is telling you.

-You must be a kindred spirit. This means that our souls can communicate, not just our bodies or our brains.

-You must be an explorer. The fearful need not apply.

-You must be okay with the notion of being a step-parent.

-You must be at least as interesting as me. I don't want to have to carry every conversation, I like to be entertained too.

-You must be able to make me genuinely laugh.

-You must have and understand passion. I don't care if you like what I like, but you must have and/or deeply understand what it means to have a passion for something. If your interests happen to be the same as mine, great, if not, maybe even better. But they should at least overlap significantly.

-You must be physically fit and understand your body well enough to stay that way. No couch slugs.

-You must be physically affectionate. No ice queens, please.

-You must be emotionally independent. From everyone. Especially your parents and ex-boyfriends/husbands. Co-dependents need not apply.

-You must be sexy. If I don't have a hard time keeping my hands off you, there is a problem.

-You must fundamentally be an optimist. No overly depressive types. It's okay to be down, but not as a lifestyle.

-You must be experienced emotionally, physically (sexually), intellectually and spiritually.

-You must be edgy. Vanilla need not apply. If you can't handle an F-bomb, Irish whiskey, Guy Ritchie or Frank Miller movies, you can't handle me.

-You must be outgoing and capable of being social. If I can't take you to a party, concert, football game, or bar without traumatizing you then you need not apply.

-You must be willing and able to party like a rockstar but be ready to call it a night when appropriate.

-You must love my family, 'cause they ain't going anywhere.

-You must live in the real world, recognize and embrace it for what it is, and not run from it.

-You must not treat relationships like science projects.

-You must appreciate the human experience, not be afraid of it, and have a genuine desire to embrace it.

-You must value education enough to have educated yourself.

-You must be genuinely honest. That means being able to say and live with "I don't know" sometimes, but not forever.

-You must be able to make a decision, but never just for the sake of making a decision.

-You must understand how to play on a team together.

-You must realize what you are dealing with. I ain't a child, and I ain't a pet.

-You must be able to appreciate the Journey as much or more than the destination, and accept the fact that sometimes the Journey IS the destination.

-You must not react like a baby when you don't get your way.

-You must be able to smell the roses.

-You must respect me for what I am, not for what you want me to be.

-You must have friends of your own.

-You must have a life of your own and not require my undivided attention to solve things you should have figured out as a single person.

-You must be able to dress yourself in such a way that indicates you are aware of what society is doing at the moment (Borrowed that one...thanks MG)

-You must learn to appreciate eating out at someplace other than Chili's.

-You must appreciate that quality time with your significant other is required, frequently, to keep him happy and engaged.

-You must recognize that a relationship should be based on love for each other and not a contract.

That's a long list, but expect it to expand and/or change over time.

It is, after all, a journey.

1 comment:

  1. You will get exactly what you want! Always hold on to that- "Whatever you focus on, that is what you'll get"

    MG~ *laughs*

    ReplyDelete