
Luke was born yesterday. He's probably very gullable. Today is the only day that he can say that yes, in fact he was born yesterday, if someone was to ask him if he was born yesterday. Luke is my first nephew. 7-ish pounds. My little sister Ashley had a c-section (after 24+ hours of labor) yesterday morning around 8am. I went by the hospital yesterday after he was born, and the day before to offer love and support and advice to Ashley and my brother-in-law Matt, but I didn't stay long. I remember when Natalie and Ethan were born, the family rush was a bit stressful. Well, not so much for me because I was glad for the company, but for a mother in labor, you kinda just want to get it over with with minimal interruptions and definitely no pictures. But on the flip side, when it's a family member, and you've had kids of your own, you feel drawn there. Maybe because you remember how special an event it was for you to see your own flesh and blood come into the world and start their own journeys.
Speaking of journeys, Luke should have a good one. So far, his parents have done things right. I failed as a big brother though. I never had the talk with Matt, though I still should. It will be a completely different talk, but should still happen. All brothers should have the talk, as should all fathers. The purpose is to let a prospective family member know that you love and cherish your sibling. Translation: Don't screw up. The reason the discussion would be so diffferent now is because I know him better. He's still young, but he's solid. My sister is in good hands. But she still has 3 older brothers. 3 fierce brothers. 3 fierce uncles. 1 family.
We're a fierce bunch. Getting in is not easy, even as patient as we can be. There's been 3 so far that were chewed up and spit back out. Then there's the ones that are still here, 2 in the flesh, and 1 in spirit. Robbie will always be with us. He stayed, and even though he's gone, he was one of us. Angela has it. And now there are the ones that were born into it. Natalie, Ethan, Luke...the next generation, and possibly the first that will have a strong sense of identity and purpose.
But for now, Luke is new. He's innocent and perfect. Enjoy it, kiddo, cause the punches will come. But know that you got good parents, good grandparents, 3 fierce uncles, and 2 cousins that'll be there for you.
Don't ever forget that Luke. You are not alone. Your tribe will protect you. Remind you of what you are and where you came from.
Don't ever forget.
Or at least one of your fierce uncles will come by to remind you.

No comments:
Post a Comment