Saturday, January 17, 2009

Trail Running

IS AWESOME! Well it's cool anyway. I just started running again, and have done a few trail runs. So different from running on asphalt. So different from mountain biking, yet similar. You don't have to concentrate on not falling down. We learned to run before we learned to ride, so it's a little more automatic. Which is cool, because it allows you some extra brainwidth to think about other stuff while you run. Like the scenery. Or the music on your iPod. Or life in general. Or all of the above. Brilliant.

Today D and I hit Hawes from the Usery side. I'm going to guess I ran about 4 or 5 miles, 30 minutes out (slight downhill) and about 40 back. Felt good. The whole time I felt strong, no cramps, soreness (yet) or suffering to speak of. Just a good, long-for-me trail run. Even threw in a few Fred Astaire moves off some rocks. It was cold, but I warmed up quickly, and as always, the conversation was great. In fact, and again as always, it's the type of conversation that can truly numb -or heal- the the pain caused by having to live our lives right now.

So as we run, we talk about Lance. His story. His victories. And, his detractors. Lance Armstrong, love him or hate him, is one determined MoFo. THAT dude, if anyone, figured it out, ran with it, and didn't look back. It's funny though. Someone accomplishes great things, or does something people can't understand, and all they can do is dig around to find out how he cheated. As if it's impossible or absurd to believe it might have happened just how he has repeatedly said it did. How sad are the masses. For they have obviously never felt a passion about anything deep enough to even be able to relate. Or if they have, it's been so long they don't remember.

I turned around before D. I don't want to push it as my body is readjusting back to running. Even though I went for a solid hour no problem at a good clip, I'm still feeling little muscles I didn't know were there. So, at the turn around point, we plugged in our iPods, D kept going, and I turned around. I never use an iPod when I'm on the bike. Too distracting. But while running, it's enlightening. You get into a groove, and suddenly everything becomes more clear, intense, powerful. The views of the desert, the lyrics, the undulating flow of the runner's desert trail. Ah, once again, like movies, family, good friends and good music, I've re-discovered something else that was sorely missing from my life. Another way to commune.

And...bonus...even though it probably pales in comparison to the money pit that is mountain biking, it's something else to spend money on! Woo-hoo!

Today's run ended with a Chai Latte, good music, and some immovable sunglasses. Seriously, Sophia Loren, how old are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment