Monday, January 12, 2009

This is your Captain speaking

...we have reached our cruising altitude of 37000 feet and will be turning off the fasten seatbelt signs shortly. On behalf of Second Chance Airlines, our flight crew would like to welcome you aboard, and would encourage you to order from the in-flight minibar. Seriously. We have a free in-flight minibar, please take advantage of it. You'll note, we are aboard a Boeing 737-900, equipped with 2 CFM 56-7 Turbofans each capable of producing 27000+ pounds of thrust. We'll eventually be cruising at 511 miles per hour at 39000 feet. All that being said, you can just remember that we are faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and as always, your crew is dedicated to truth, justice and the American way. Have a nice flight, and thank you for choosing Second Chance Airlines.

Seems like this flight has been leveling off these past couple weeks. Sure there's still some turbulence, and I'm still learning, but the current co-pilot-trainer knows what's up. Flown these skies before. Just sets the auto-pilot and tells me not to worry. In fact, for the most part, she is back in the cabin, enjoying coffee (and probably drinks) with the crew. I got this bird in hand. And that's good. Cause if I need anything, I can just call her or one of the flight crew into the cockpit, but for now, I'm good. Flying solo. The only problems are 1) I don't know how much fuel we have and 2) I'm still not sure where we're going. Minor issues though. I can put down in any one of many places along the way, re-fuel, and take off again. My crew knows where I can put down safely and re-fuel. Eventually, so will I.

I like this crew. We are all from the same tribe, for the most part. The old co-pilot was not. That's why we are in a new 737-900. The old 737-200 crashed and burned and we were lucky to get out alive. But Second Chance Airlines gave me,well, a second chance and here I am, flying again, on my way. Every time we take off, the crew tells the passengers what to do in case of an emergency. They demonstrate how if there is a loss of cabin pressure, that these little masks will fall from the ceiling, and that it is important that everyone get their own mask fastened and the oxygen flowing before assisting anyone else. Good advice in general. If you don't have oxygen you're of no use to anyone, and will eventually pass out.

On the previous flight, the cabin de-pressurized pretty quickly. Shortly after take-off, I started gasping for air. There were no oxygen masks. I just dealt with it; we had a destination to get to. I never quite figured out what that destination was, but after a LONG takeoff and slowly getting to altitude, I realized that the co-pilot was more interested in spending time with the Air Marshall that was on board. Damn Air Marshalls. Think they know everything. It's like they have a gun, so they have to use it for something. Well like they say, when you're a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

I got tired of being pounded on the head.

I've been solo in the cockpit now for longer than I can remember in my adult life. It's starting to feel natural. Eventually though, I'm going to have to pick up two special passengers and carry them to the right destination. Right now, my 737 is not equipped with passenger seats. Left all those on the old one, which the old co-pilot seems to be rebuilding. Good for her. Right now all I have is a much improved airframe and great in-flight and ground crews. Ultimately though, I'm going to have to set down and outfit this bird with seats and hopefully a permanent co-pilot. With a good co-pilot, I'd be able to go back and hang with the crew and passengers sometimes without worrying about crashing. Wouldn't that be nice. If we're good enough together, we may even be able to program the autopilot well enough that we could head back into the cabin and enjoy time with the crew and passengers together. Is that too much to ask?

Ah the possibilities, when you're faced with nothing but the wild blue yonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment